Wednesday 9 September 2015

REVIEW: Marc Jacobs Genius Gel Foundation


Hi!

I got this foundation about a month ago and I absolutely adore it.

It's the first gel foundation I've tried, and it's definitely an interesting consistency. It goes on quite sheer, but gives a medium coverage. It is buildable, but it's not as easy to get to a full coverage as MAC's Studio Fix. Besides, the coverage is one of the things I love about this foundation- it looks incredibly natural, one of those your-skin-but-better foundations. Unfortunately it's not currently available in New Zealand (I got mine when a friend visited Australia and went to Sephora).

I use the shade 10 Ivory Light, and have swatched it next to MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NW10. (Excuse the hairband imprint on my wrist!)

Genius Gel in 10 Ivory Light above,
MAC Studio Fix Fluid in NW10 below.

As you can see in the picture, Genius Gel is a little lighter than Studio Fix, and it is a cool toned foundation. It's a perfect match for me. I believe Marc Jacobs offers another light foundation in the formula for yellow/warm toned complexions, which is great as I hear it can be pretty difficult to find yellow toned super light foundations. It leans more towards a dewy finish.

As far as wear goes, it's not a super long lasting formula, but I find it's fine for a day for me, and as I would re-apply my makeup if I were going out in the evening anyway, I have no qualms about it's longevity. I find it's most likely to wear away around my glasses and the tip of my nose, but that's a complaint I have with every foundation I've tried really.

I wouldn't recommend it for oily skin types, as I think it would slip off oily skin quite easily. I have super dry skin, so I like the coconut water infusion in the formula a lot. It does stick to flaky patches a little, but it's not super noticeable.  It is perfumed, so if your skin tends to react to perfumed formulas I would recommend sampling it to ensure your skin isn't going to react before purchasing (especially as it is a more expensive foundation!) That said, my skin is pretty sensitive and I haven't had a problem with it.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this foundation!

Marc Jacob's Genius Gel is available from Sephora internationally.
Price: $48USD/$69AUD/$77NZD(approx.)

No comments:

Post a Comment