Sunday 27 September 2015

REVIEW: MAC Studio Waterweight Foundation SPF30


Hi!
Today I'll be reviewing MAC's newest foundation, Studio Waterweight.

What it claims to do: "A foundation that delivers colour in an ultra-fluid, thin, elastic gel-serum formula." 
  • Provides comfortable, all-day wear
  • Provides instant and all-day hydration
  • Controls oil
  • Offers broad spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30
  • Provides stay-true colour
  • Non-caking and streak-resistant
  • For all skin types
  • Non-acnegenic
  • Dermatologist tested
  • Oil-free

As MAC's description states, this is a gel serum foundation. It's very lightweight, and doesn't require you to apply a lot of product. As such, it's a sheer-medium finish, so if you prefer a fuller coverage, this foundation's probably not for you. I find that it covers the redness on my cheeks fine, and gives a very natural finish, being just dewy enough that the skin looks radiant and energised. The assistant in the MAC store told me that it is buildable to a medium coverage, but in my opinion this is best as a daytime sheer-natural coverage foundation -I'll be sticking to Studio Fix Fluid for when I need full coverage.

As for colour - Studio Waterweight only goes down to NW15, so those who use NW10&13 may find it a bit dark. In saying that, I put off wearing it for a few weeks because I was sure it would make me look orange (I got a tester, not the full sized bottle), and found that because it's a sheer finish, it isn't really noticeably dark. Unlike some of MAC's other foundations, it doesn't oxidise much, which helps stop the orange! 
Studio Waterweight in NW15 above Studio Fix Fluid in NW10

As the consistency of the foundation is so thin, it was hard to get a similar amount of product in each swatch, but Studio Waterweight is visibly darker. Once blended out on my arm however my arm did not appear darker.

One thing I really like about this foundation is its SPF30 sun protection. As a pale girl who lives in a country with a hole in its ozone layer, I can never be too careful!

Set with NYX Radiant Finishing Powder in 01:Brighten. Highlight: MAC Mineralize Skin Finish in Lightscapade. Contour: Australis AC on Tour palette shade 5. Eyeshadow: Sleek i-Divine Storm palette, shades Perfect Storm and Firestorm. Liner: benefit they're real! push up liner. Brows: Rimmel Professional Eyebrow Pencil in 004: Black Brown, unknown brand brow powder, and Rimmel Brow This Way Brow Styling Gel.

Pros
Weightless feel on skin
Natural finish
UV protection
Hydrating
Doesn't accentuate dry patches

Cons
Not available NW10 or NW13 (at this stage)
Transfers if not properly set
May slip off of oily skin

Overall
I have a sample size of this foundation, and while it's pretty nice I don't see myself buying the full size, unless MAC starts producing it in a NW10. It's simply too similar to Marc Jacob's Genius Gel for me to justify buying. Maybe I'll buy it when my GG runs out. As GG is unavailable in NZ (I got mine from Sephora Australia) I would recommend this to anyone who doesn't already own GG.
Rating: 3.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment